“Missing” Peng Shuai greets audience at tournament in new video shared by Chinese state media, Sports News

0

[ad_1]

The mystery surrounding Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai continues to deepen day by day. As Chinese state media desperately try to force the narrative that the tennis star is doing well, his failure to make a public appearance or contact the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) has sparked global outrage.

After sharing her alleged photos allegedly taken on Peng’s WeChat feed and a video of her eating at a restaurant with friends and a coach, Chinese state media released another video of the tennis star on Sunday. “Missing”.

In the video shared on Twitter by Hu Xijin, editor-in-chief of the state newspaper Global Times, Peng can be seen waving to the audience during the opening ceremony of the final of a teenage tournament in Beijing.

In the video, the 35-year-old can be seen in a dark blue jacket and white pants and greeted the audience with a smile on her face. Xijin claimed the video was captured by Global Times photo reporter Cui Meng at the event.

“Peng Shuai showed up at the opening ceremony of a teenage tennis final in Beijing on Sunday morning. Global Times photo reporter Cui Meng captured her at the scene,” he wrote in a report. tweet accompanied by video.

×

Xijin shared another video where Peng can be seen signing an autograph for children at the same event.

×

Read also: Peng Shuai: The world is looking for answers as a Chinese tennis player is “missing”; Here’s what we know so far

Peng’s whereabouts have been a mystery since she brought sexual assault allegations against former Chinese Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli, who is also a member of the ruling Communist Party’s Standing Committee. Peng took to Chinese social media platform Weibo on November 2 to accuse Gaoli of “forcing” her to have sex with him.

Peng’s post was deleted immediately after it was posted, but it quickly went viral. She has since disappeared and has yet to make a public appearance amid growing concerns about her safety.

The video of Peng allegedly attending the tournament’s opening ceremony comes a day after Xijin claimed on Twitter that she was fine and that she “would show up in public and participate in some activities soon.”

While Chinese public media have worked hard to force the account that the tennis star is safe, his mysterious disappearance has seen Novak Djokovic, Naomi Osaka and Serena Williams, among others, question China.

Read also: Peng Shuai: China uses state media to argue well, WTA not convinced

WTA President Steve Simon released a statement on Saturday after Chinese state media shared the video clip of Peng eating with his friends and his trainer. He said the video alone was insufficient to prove Peng’s safety while expressing concerns about his fate.

“I am happy to see the videos released by Chinese state media that appear to show Peng Shuai in a restaurant in Beijing. While it is positive to see her, it is not known if she is free and able to take decisions and take action alone, without coercion or outside interference. ”

“This video alone is insufficient. As I said from the start, I remain concerned about Peng Shuai’s health and safety and that the sexual assault allegation is being censored and swept under the rug. have been clear on what needs to happen and our relationship with China is at a crossroads, ”he added.


[ad_2]
Source link

Share.

Comments are closed.