Kei Nishikori reveals the tournament he is targeting for his comeback

0

Former world number 4 Kei Nishikori has signed up to play at the Winston-Salem Open and this appears to be the tournament where he is aiming to make a comeback. Nishikori, 32, hasn’t played any events this season as he recovers from hip surgery.

In June, Nishikori was confirmed for Washington and Atlanta. Atlanta will start next week, while Washington is scheduled to start on August 1. Nishikori’s name has been removed from the rosters of Atlanta and Washington players, indicating that the Japanese will not play in those two events.

On Tuesday, the Winston-Salem announced that Nishikori would take part in this year’s tournament and the Japanese retweeted their announcement.

Nishikori set to play Winston-Salem for second time

Nishikori made his Winston-Salem debut a long time ago, with his only tournament appearance coming in 2011.

Back then, Nishikori won three qualifying matches to reach the main draw. After reaching the main draw, Nishikori won two matches before losing to Juan Monaco in the round of 16. 11 years after his debut, Nishikori is ready to play again on the hard courts of Winston-Salem.

Nishikori is now the 158th player in the world, but that’s no surprise since he hasn’t played for almost a year. When Nishikori returns, one of his short-term goals will be to quickly improve his ranking. “As I said earlier, first of all I want to get back to the standings so far.

Firstly, I still have goals to be able to get back into the top 10, but eventually I will get back to that position,” Nishikori said. “So that I can fight in the second half of the tournament instead of the current one ( Rafael) Nadal or (Novak) Djokovic in the first round.

It’s a great feeling that I want to go back to this place.” The Winston-Salem Open is scheduled to take place August 21-27. It remains to be seen whether Nishikori can make his long-awaited return to Winston-Salem.



Source link

Share.

Comments are closed.